What is it?
An English-speaking improv ensemble that will be coached by Tamara Maasdam and guest teachers. Different from a class, as the ensemble you will have more ownership over what you want to learn and the content and organisation of your performances. All under the guidance of and with advice from the coach. The ensemble will be formed through auditions and put together by Tamara Maasdam. Unlike a class, there is no end date to the ensemble. You will stay together as long as you want to and potential new members will be chosen through auditions.
Overall goal of the ensemble: The first goal is to create a group that loves playing with each other and trusts each other. The long term goal will be to eventually start organising and playing shows.
The trainings will consists of:
– Training improv principles (everything from repeating the basics to diving in deeper)
– Format training
– Training in hosting shows
– Guidance when it comes to organising shows
– Training in other aspects of theatre with guest teachers (Depending on the group’s interests. For example: acting, clowning, singing, physical theatre, dance, etc)
– A shared document with all exercises we have done in class.
What am I looking for?
– are eager to learn and want to grow as a group as well as individually.
– believe that team building is as important as the improv itself.
– are dedicated and want to commit to the trainings.
– want to perform and want to take responsibility in the organisation of the shows.
– believe that watching shows are an essential part of their development.
What will I offer you?
What I bring as a coach is heart, laughter, energy, passion, curiosity as well as years of experience in performing, teaching and organising improv related events. I provide a supportive and positive group environment where everyone feels safe to take risks and fail as well as shine and kick ass. I bring a lot of energy and laughter to the trainings, because improv should be revitalising and fun. While having a lot of fun, I also strive to get the best out of every improviser and the group. I give non-judgemental, but honest feedback and believe in a combination of giving pointers mid-scene and letting improvisers play and giving feedback afterwards. I am endlessly curious about improv and believe that there is no end to learning. I will continue to develop, finetune and reinvent myself as a coach as well as an improviser.
What style of improv inspires me and what will I coach you in? I love a wide variety of shows, but I am most passionate about improv in which comedy meets drama and improv that is treated like theatre. I love narrative longform, but regardless of the format, good improv is good improv. I love characters that want and feels things. I also love it when shows are visually pleasing and when groups use the stage to it’s full potential. I am inspired and coached by improv troups like the IT’S Ensemble, Three for All, Improv Playhouse of San Francisco, Paralellogramophonograph, the Maydays and Project 2. Whenever I watch a show or do a workshop, I take inspiration and knowledge with me and implement it in my coaching.
Practical Info Rehearsal dates: Mondays, 18:00 – 21:00, January 20 – June 15 (no rehearsal on April 13 & June 1) Rehearsal space: Mäster Olofsgården, Stockholm Rehearsals: 20 x 3 hours, 16 rehearsals with coach + 4 rehearsals without coach. Price for rehearsals with coach: 103 – 86 SEK per hour. Total price: 4500 – 5400 SEK (10 – 12 people) *
* The exact price will be determined when we know how many we’ll be. I am also doing by best to get financial support for the group which could potentially lower the fee for the ensemble in the long run.
How to apply
First make sure to have read all of the information on this page. To sign up for the auditions, send an email to email@example.com answering the questions below. There are no wrong answers. I just want to get an idea of who you are and what you’re looking for. Signing up doesn’t guarantee you a spot in the auditions. After sign-up you will get an email with more information.
1. Are your available on one or both of the audition dates?(December 1 & 7, 15:00-18:00)
(It would be great if many people can join for both dates, so I can get a better idea of who you are and how you play together)
2. What is your improv experience so far?
3. What is your favourite thing about improv?
4. What is your goal with improv?
5. What moments in your improv background stuck out for you or have played an important role in becoming the improviser you are today?
6. What is something that you haven’t done yet that you want to try out?
(It doesn’t have to be improv related)
7. Are you willing to put in some extra work to help organise your own shows?
8. What is your phone number?
Hi, I’m Tamara, an improv theatre performer and coach with a home base in Stockholm, Sweden.
I fell in love with improv from the first show I saw in 2007 and have been improvising ever since. I have been trained by International Theater Stockholm, where I have been working as a teacher since 2014.
I am co-founder and teacher of Improv Escape, an improv theatre summercamp for adults that’s all about escaping citylife, improving your improv skills and building friendships with fellow improv enthusiasts.
I am also member and co-founder of the improv ensemble Paraphrase, with which we bring improvised Scandinavian drama to international stages. Paraphrase has played in Sweden, Denmark, Finland and Russia.
This part of the website is still under construction. Curious about my workshops? Send me an email at firstname.lastname@example.org
Create Your Own World
In improv we have the luxury to turn our stage into whatever we want it to be. We’re not limited to a budget or restricted by the rules of the physical stage. We’re only restricted by the limits of our own imagination.
In this class we will experiment together and try out all of the possibilities that the empty stage has to offer. We will run, climb, fly, dangle, play with physical distance and closeness, and do space-object work. And through these environments, we will get to know the characters and discover how they interact with each other and act in this world we created.
We will tap into our own and the audience’s imagination and put together a visually exciting show with nothing more than a few chairs and ourselves on stage.
As improvisers we are storytellers who create stories on the spot. In this class you will learn what ingredients are needed to tell captivating tales that will put the audience on the edge of their seats. We will work on characters with clear objectives, editing techniques, timing, building up tension until the final climax and then wrapping everything up in an ending.
You will learn how to play engaging heroes, villains as well as kick-ass side-characters.
This part of the website is still under construction. Stay tuned.
This part of the website is still under construction. In the meantime, check out my two projects Paraphrase and Improv Escape.